Thursday, September 21, 2017

Corto Maltese in Siberia

A little amuse-bouche while I work my way through the comic of the same name. It is a more cultured comic than most of what I have read, with its creator Hugo Pratt being lauded as the inventor of the literary comic strip, and the references, from the historical General Ungern-Sternberg to the literature of the I Ching, Utopia, and "Kubla Khan", require a bit more care to unpack than my normal fare.

Do not be dismayed by the literary claims. Corto Maltese is an adventurer first and foremost, and this particular tale sends him after a Siberian treasure train in the name of the Crown--and a Chinese triad.

This will be of interest to any anime fan, as Japan often works with French and Italian studios, and this adventure has the relaxed pace common to continental and Japanese animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment